Who we are
We advocate for schools, families and communities to promote equity and inclusive education.
Parents for Diversity is a collective of parents and allies committed to ensuring every child’s right to an education free from discrimination. We advocate for schools, families and communities to promote equity and inclusive education and to take meaningful steps to protect human rights for all by:
- raising awareness about the implications of racism, intolerance and discrimination in the education system on all members of society;
- developing workshops, materials and resources for families and schools;
- supporting caregivers and families to advocate for children who experience discrimination or bias in schools.
Promote public knowledge and understanding of the urgent need for equitable and inclusive learning environments and the benefits of discrimination-free education for all children.
Engages caregivers, families, educators and other stakeholders about the rights of students to discrimination-free learning environments, anti-racist and anti-oppression teaching practices and ways to advocate effectively for students facing discrimination.
Support stakeholders by developing expertise, building an array of reputable resources on equity in education and creating partnerships with experts on the benefits and necessity of embracing diverse identities.
Engage in and facilitate public conversations, obtain public support for improving equity and inclusion in schools and provide recommendations on policy, regulation, legislation and guideline changes.
Parents for Diversity is committed to advocating for equitable and inclusive learning environments that allow children to fulfill their full potential. We engage schools and families to promote and implement equity and inclusive education and to take meaningful steps to protect human rights for all in the education system.
Our vision is that within each learning environment, each child feels that they belong, are valued for who they are, and that they have equal access to rigorous, meaningful, and joyful learning.
Our beliefs and commitments
We commit to identifying and addressing these systems of oppression that limit children’s potential to engage in rigorous, joyful learning.
Parents for Diversity acknowledges that systemic discrimination is embedded into the policies and practices of educational institutions, which adversely impacts children’s wellbeing and achievement. We commit to identifying and addressing these systems of oppression that limit children’s potential to engage in rigorous, joyful learning.
We believe that :
- every child has a right to an education free from discrimination;
- every child has a right to be represented, nurtured and educated in a positive, inclusive and safe learning environment;
- assumptions and generalizations about groups’ needs and experiences should be avoided; all groups have great diversity within them;
- gender is a spectrum! Children should be allowed to express themselves as they choose. Gender stereotypes can be detrimental to all children, regardless of their gender identities.
- We respect how an individual wishes to be identified (pronouns, terms referring to race and ethnicity, etc).
“When you leave a P4D workshop, you leave equipped with the tools and resources necessary to address incidents of anti-black racism within the school system. P4D is passionate about the work they do. They sincerely want to help parents who need help with advocating for and protecting their children. All participants in a child’s educational journey should attend their workshops.”Parents for Diversity Workshop Attendee